Functional communication app using real images
Suitable for adults and children, image2talk can be completely customised to meet the communication needs of individuals with communication disorder such as Autism, Aphasia, Down Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Stroke or any type of disorder where verbal speech is impaired.
Unique to image2talk is that it completely eliminates the effort of having to navigate through menu or category pages. image2talk is based on the professional experiences of Fiona Wilson, a teacher working with teenage students with autism and learning disabilities.
Tap and make images talk
- tap the image - e.g. tap an orange
- the image shows - see an orange on the screen
- speaker output emits response - 'I want an orange'
image2talk is designed to involve a minimal response effort to communicate and make it simple.
Overview with rows for different topics
When the image2talk icon is tapped, the basic overview appears. It consists of rows of images in categories such as food, objects, places, clothes, etc. The range of standard imagery is based on Fiona’s daily experience.
Images within each row can be easily ordered in the settings so that the most preferred images appear first - or last if a goal is to develop visual discrimination skills.
Combine standard imagery with your own images
Create your own rows by deleting or reordering standard imagery and adding your own images via the iPads Camera roll. Or import complete rows from the gallery of your own Dropbox folder. If required, start off small and build up number of rows and images over time.
Automatically generate speech
After adding images, text labels and speech will be created based on the file name and the speaker output will be generated automatically. Edit the text labels and the speaker output in the settings.
E.g. if you want to add the 'real' bed as an image you can take a picture, add it to the relevant stream, and type the words for speaker output – ‘ I want to go to bed’.
Effective time delay
The time delay is a really neat function as it eliminates the need for the user to press a back button. After an image is tapped, the image enlarges, the speaker output is emitted and after a set time delay the basic overview will reappear. If appropriate, the time delay can be increased to give users opportunities to develop reader and speaker skills.
image2talk was created out of a frustration. We needed a way to follow our RSS feeds of images and share images in a fun and simple way. It works wonders for staying inspired while creating.
Features from image2talk
- Simple overview screen eliminating the need to navigate through category and menu pages
- Basic rows (yes/no, food, objects, clothes, etc) are already in image2talk
- Choose an image - it appears and speaks
- Easily customise image2talk at source to meet individual needs
- Import your own relevant imagery from the iPads Camera roll
- Create your own rows
- Save an image from the internet, computer or regular camera and import from Dropbox
- Any text entered can be generated as spoken text
- Set time delay for basic overview screen to reappear
- Choose to show text labels over the image
- Turn voice on/off
- Set time delay to meet individual needs
- Set a PIN to settings to prevent unwanted changes
- Display any number of rows
- Display any number of images within each row
- Change the order of rows
- Change the order of images within each row
Fiona Wilson has been teaching students with specials needs for over 5 years and prior to this has 10 years of teaching experience in mainstream primary schools in Scotland and Ireland. She lives in Ireland with her partner and two sons.
Do you have questions or suggestions for image2talk?
Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.